Vicksburg is one of the best small towns in Mississippi to add to your list of places to explore this year. Nestled along the banks of the mighty Mississippi River, the quaint streets are lined with Antebellum homes and Civil War-era architecture, evoking a sense of stepping back in time. The charming shops, locally-owned establishments, cozy restaurants, and historical mansions are all worth discovering during your time in the South.
One of the biggest draws to Vicksburg is the Vicksburg National Military Park, a designated area commemorating one of the most pivotal battles of the Civil War. You’ll find the battlefield, memorials, a cemetery, and a museum all at this local hub. It’s also a popular place for hiking and enjoying the fresh air—as you visit the small towns in Mississippi, you’ll see why Vicksburg stands out!
Vicksburg is an excellent location for a weekend getaway! Located just 45 minutes from Jackson, MS, and right at the midpoint for those heading on the popular road trip from Memphis to New Orleans, Vicksburg can be the perfect home base or a nice place to relax for a few days before hitting the road again. Before you start planning your route, you’ll want to secure your lodging, and Oak Hall is one of the best Mississippi bed and breakfasts for your trip. We have six lovely guest rooms in our historic Inn. Check out our upcoming availability and book your room today!
Explore One of the Best Small Towns in Mississippi
There are so many reasons why Vicksburg is one of the best small towns in Mississippi. In a recent feature article for Southern Living Magazine, they said that “Vicksburg is full of surprises.” There’s a long list of fantastic restaurants, cafes, riverfront activities, local museums, and so much more to discover.
Here are the best things to do in Vicksburg, MS, one of the most charming small towns in Mississippi:
- Explore the Mississippi Blues Trail: This famed trail has six stops in Vicksburg, with markers commemorating these iconic places and talented people involved in the evolution of blues music.
- Tour the Vicksburg National Military Park: Part memorial, part nature area; this is one of the best places to explore in Vicksburg. The National Military Park offers visitors hiking trails, the USS Cairo Museum, the Illinois State Memorial building, and the Vicksburg National Cemetery.
- Visit the Vicksburg Civil War Museum: If you’re a history buff, this unique museum is owned by Charles Pendleton—the first African American to own a Civil War Museum. You’ll hear and discover some of the lesser-known and influential stories of this complicated and long battle.
- Check out the Biedenharn Coca-Cola Museum: Another historical fact about Vicksburg is that the first Coca-Cola was bottled here in 1894. Guests can visit this restored building with a candy store, soda fountain, and memorabilia displays from that time.
- Hit it Big at the Riverfront Casinos: Vicksburg may be one of the best small towns in Mississippi, but the collection of riverfront casinos brings a big city vibe! These are great spots for gambling, nightlife, and live music.
- Happy Hour at the Rooftop Bars: There’s nothing quite like enjoying a craft cocktail with a stunning view of the Mississippi River. Our two favorite establishments with rooftop venues are 10 South Rooftop Bar and Grill and the Roof at 1311 at Key City Brewery.
- Shopping in Downtown Vicksburg: One of the best things to do when visiting small towns in Mississippi is explore the local boutiques and specialty shops. In the charming downtown area, walk the brick-paved streets and find something special to commemorate your trip.
- Take the Historic Walking Tour: As with many of the best small towns in Mississippi, the historic architecture is a classic draw. You’ll want to follow the
Stay at our Historic Mississippi Bed and Breakfast
One of the reasons Vicksburg is one of the best small towns in Mississippi is the welcoming Southern hospitality you’ll encounter at every turn. As a guest at Oak Hall, that starts from the moment you arrive. We’ll welcome you with open arms and do our best to ensure you feel comfortable and at home. Our historic Fannie Willis Johnson home sets the perfect tone for romantic getaways and relaxing retreats.
If you crave privacy while staying out of town, our small boutique property offers this and more. With only six elegant guest rooms, you’ll see that every detail has been attended to. Rooms have luxurious amenities, including California king-size platform beds with premium hotel bedding. Enjoy modern amenities, including an en suite bathroom, LG smart flat-screen TV, high-speed wifi, Keurig Coffee Makers, microwave, and mini fridge.
In our shared space, you’ll soak up the historic architecture paired with modern appointments. This summer, we’ll unveil our new outdoor pool, giving our guests a refreshing place to cool off and relax. In the mornings, grab items from our butler’s pantry for lighter fare at your leisure and best enjoyed on one of our expansive porches. Start planning your next getaway to one of the best small towns in Mississippi, and book your lodging at our bed and breakfast today!