While our charming small town on the Mississippi River might be most-known for the fascinating Vicksburg National Military Park, there are so many more incredible things to do in Vicksburg, MS, on your next visit. From lively nightlife along the waterfront and rooftop bars with live music to elegant dining and boutique shopping options—there’s something for everyone!
Settled on its high bluff overlooking the river in the early 1700s, Vicksburg is known as the “Key to the South.” The historic architecture in this area is hard to miss—you’ll be whisked back in time by the stately homes, many inspired by the Victorian, Eastlake, Italianate, and Greek Revival movements. Touring these mansions (many restored and open to the public) is by far one of the best things to do in Vicksburg, MS, on your next visit.
What’s better—choosing one of these historic places for your overnight lodging—and our bed and breakfast in Vicksburg, MS, is the perfect blend of extraordinary Mission Revival architecture and timeless modern elegance. Our Fannie Willis Johnson Home, built in 1910, is the ideal space for romantic getaways, group trips, or solo retreats. Each of our private suites contains over 300 square feet, a sitting area, its own en suite bathroom, and all the needed amenities for a restful stay. Reserve your room today!
Discover All the Amazing Things to Do in Vicksburg, MS
Whether this is your first time or a return visit, there are so many great things to do in Vicksburg, MS, all year round, and more to pack into just one trip! You may be surprised when you explore our bustling downtown area on the river with casinos, restaurants, boutique shops, and so much more. Extra perk: As a guest at our bed and breakfast in Vicksburg, you’ll be within walking distance of many of these activities.
Here are the top ten things to do in Vicksburg, MS:
- Explore Vicksburg on Foot: One of the best ways to get a lay of the land in Vicksburg is to head out and explore on foot. You can leisurely stroll through Vicksburg’s historic districts and homes; use this Heritage Walking Tour Map for the best route.
- Tour the Historic Homes: While many historic homes are open for tours around the area, one of the best things to do in Vicksburg is to check out the McRaven House. The guided tour offers an interesting insight into the history and families that have called this house home over the years.
- Peruse the Downtown Boutiques & Art Galleries: We noticed that more of our B&B guests want to shop local during their stay, and the collection of downtown boutiques, antique shops, and galleries is the perfect place to support our small-town businesses.
- Head out on the Mighty Mississippi: The best way to experience the Mississippi River is with Blue Cat Guide Service with Bob Crosby—the local expert on fishing and sightseeing tours on the water.
- The Vicksburg National Military Park: This national treasure is one of the most popular things to do in Vicksburg, MS, and the attraction that’s put us on the map! You’ll find monuments, memorials, and hiking trails to explore.
- Grab Lunch at a Local Cafe: After you’ve walked off breakfast, you’ll be ready for lunch, and there’s a fantastic selection of casual Vicksburg restaurants for lunch. We suggest Walnut Hills for Southern eats, Main Street Market Cafe for gumbo and quiche, and Tomato Place for sandwiches (don’t miss the fried green tomato BLT), salads, and smoothies.
- Drinks on High: One of our favorite things to do in Vicksburg, MS, is finding a rooftop view of the sunset while sipping on a craft cocktail! Be sure to head to 10 South for the best view.
- Dinner Out on the Town: There are so many exceptional Vicksburg restaurants for an elegant meal or romantic dinner for two. We love Anchuca for Southern cuisine, Relish for fresh Italian, and Key City Brewery and Eatery for casual dinners.
- Live Music & the Blues Trail: Vicksburg is a music town and home to six markers along the Mississippi Blues Trail. While you’re bound to find live music every night of the week, the Second Saturday of every month is a special treat!
- Test Your Luck at the Casinos: There are four fun and festive casinos on the waterfront in Vicksburg. Try your hand at the poker tables, slots, and more! They often host a pretty impressive lineup of shows as well.
This is just the beginning of the fun things to do in Vicksburg, MS! As a guest, ask your innkeepers at Oak Hall Bed and Breakfast for personalized recommendations during your stay.
Stay at the Best Bed and Breakfast in Vicksburg, MS
There’s something incredibly romantic and memorable about staying at our bed and breakfast in Vicksburg, MS. Your lodging becomes a part of your getaway rather than just a cookie-cutter hotel room where you keep your bags. With only six impeccable guest rooms, you’ll never encounter unwanted crowds or unexpected noise. You’ll have access to our expansive porches—perfect for your morning cup of coffee or evening glass of wine.
You’ll notice the restored architectural touches of our Inn at every turn, with 32 beautiful stained glass windows and delicate woodwork—be sure to join us on our daily in-depth historical tour for an even deeper appreciation of the home. Inside your private and spacious guest suite, you’ll have an uber-comfortable California king-size bed dressed in luxury hotel linens, a perfectly-appointed en suite bath, a lovely seating area, and modern touches, including free Wi-Fi and a smart TV.
Each morning we offer our guests access to our “Butlers Pantry” with light grab-and-go breakfast items, ideal for those heading out early to explore all of the best things to do in Vicksburg, MS, nearby! The coffee is always fresh, and a hot breakfast can be made available by request in advance. We hope you’ll join us at our modern bed and breakfast in Vicksburg soon! Reserve your room today.